Lipid profile test is a complete cholesterol test. It revels the levels of “good”, “bad” cholesterol, and triglycerides in your blood. We will further discuss about these terms in the article.
We all get worried about having high cholesterol and often avoid oily food.
But what is cholesterol?
Cholesterol is a waxy, fat that is soft and needed for your body to function in a healthy manner. But excess of cholesterol leads to:
- Heart diseases
- Clogging or hardening of arteries.
Who is at risk of high cholesterol?
In the following cases you could be at risk of high cholesterol:
- You have a family history of high cholesterol
- Obese or overweight
- Excessive smoking and drinking alcohol frequently
- Sedentary lifestyle
- You suffer from diabetes,
- Often women suffer from polycystic ovarian syndrome, or underactive thyroid glands.
5 Tests of lipid panel:
This includes the complete cholesterol level i.e. a combination of LDL-C, VLDL-C and HDL-C.
- LDL cholesterol or Low-density lipoprotein:
This is often referred to as “bad cholesterol” since it is easier for everyone to understand that it is harmful for our health. It can get collected in your blood vessels and increase risk of cardiovascular disease.
- VLDL very low-density lipoprotein cholesterol:
This type of cholesterol is present in low amounts when the blood sample is tested after fasting because, it mostly comes from recently consumed food. An increase in VLDL in the fasting sample might indicate abnormal lipid metabolism.
- HDL or high-density lipoprotein:
It is commonly known as “good cholesterol”. It helps to decrease the build-up of LDL in your blood vessels.
It’s a type of fat from consumed food. Excess of triglycerides indicates that you might suffer from cardiovascular disease and pancreatic inflammation.
Why would your doctor recommend a lipid profile test?
- It is a routine test to check if your cholesterol levels are normal or it falls into a borderline, intermediate or high-risk category.
- If your results have been abnormal in the previous test it needs to be monitored as the doctor would like to check if you face the risk of heart disease.
- It helps to diagnose other health challenges like liver disease.
- The doctor would want to monitor your body’s response to the treatment prescribed for cholesterol or lifestyle changes.
- Also, if your doctor observes that you face the risk factors for cardiovascular disease, he/she might recommend frequent lipid profile testing. Any elevation in cholesterol levels has to monitored.
What are the risk factors for cardiovascular diseases?
- You are a man above the age of 45 years or a woman above the age of 50 years.
- High cholesterol levels noticed in the prior test.
- You are obese.
- You smoke cigarettes frequently.
- Untreated and unmonitored high blood pressure or hypertension.
- You are diabetic or prediabetic.
- If you have a sedentary lifestyle and never exercise or engage in any physical activity like swimming, sports, walking, jogging, cycling, etc.
- If someone from your family – parent or sibling (first degree relative) has developed a heart disease at an early age.
All said and done lipid profile is a vital test that indicates or signals future health risks. So, its part of full body health checkups. If you are hunting for the best diagnostic center in Pune, Sunrise Diagnostic fits your criterion.
Let us further understand a few details about the test:
Is there any need to fast before the lipid profile test?
You need to fast for 10 to 12 hours before your lipid profile test. You should not drink or eat anything except water.
In few cases, getting the lipid profile done without fasting is possible.
But, it is always wise to consult your doctor and the diagnostic center. Follow the instructions given by your doctor.
When you need to visit a diagnostic test its necessary to trust the team. A sense of comfort becomes imperative with matters concerning your health.
Thus, we at Sunrise Diagnostic believe in assisting, guiding and putting our customers at ease. Visit our website to get the best health check-up packages in Pune.